With the introduction of Balloon Sinuplasty techniques for treatment of chronic sinusitis, surgical treatment is less invasive and patient recovery is much faster. With the availability of the newer LUMA technology, effective surgical treatment under local anaesthesia in a clinic setting is now possible.
Sinusitis or infection of the sinuses which are air filled space in the skull bone affects many people including children. In the United States it is more prevalent than arthritis and high blood pressure. The symptoms sinusitis include headache, facial pain, pressure, blocked nose, nose discharge, loss of smell, cough ,a post nasal drip and fatigue.
Types of sinusitis
Sinusitis usually follows a clod or an allergy attack. Initially, an acute sinusitis occurs. If the symptoms persist for more than three months, then it becomes a chronic sinusitis.
Acute sinusitis treated with antibiotics and occasionally a sinus washout.
Chronic sinusitis is usually not reversible with medication. For a long time, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery was the standard operation in the surgical management of sinusitis. This uses endoscopes for us to clear infected tissue in the nose and sinuses with minimally invasive procedures. It is important to find a sinus doctor in Singapore that will be able to assist you with your sinus concerns.
With the introduction of Balloon Sinuplasty technology, a less invasive way to manage sinus infection is available. Balloon Sinuplasty(TM) devices are FDA-cleared, catheter-based technologies speciﬁcally designed to navigate the tortuous sinus anatomy. The Relieva(TM) Sinus Balloon system is used to open the blocked sinus opening, and in many cases, without tissue or bone removal. Using the Relieva Sinus Balloon system, the blocked sinus opening is gently dilated restoring normal sinus drainage and function.
X Ray guides the placement of the balloon to dilate the sinus opening. But come April this year, LUMA balloon sinuplasty will be available. This uses light to confirm the placement of the balloon. With this, treatment under local anaesthesia in a clinic setting will become a possibility.
Contact your Sinus Doctor in Singapore for a consultation today.
Benefits of Balloon Sinuplasty
1. Safe and effective– involves some risk, studies demonstrate that the Balloon Sinuplasty system may be safe and effective in relieving symptoms of sinusitis.
2. Minimally invasive – The technology uses small, soft, ﬂexible devices introduced entirely through the nostrils. These devices gently open blocked sinuses.
3. Reduced bleeding – In many cases, no tissue or bone is removed during surgery using this technology, because of this there may be reduced bleeding. As a result, the need for uncomfortable nasal packing may also be eliminated.
4. Fast recovery time– While recovery time varies with each patient, some patients have been known to return to normal activities within 24 hours.
5. Does not limit treatment options– The Balloon Sinuplasty technology is an endoscopic tool and may be used with other medical therapies and/or surgical techniques. It does not limit future treatment options if a patient has progressive disease
Book an appointment with HealthSense Specialist Dr. YT Pang to look at your ENT problems and get cured.